Campus Life

 NTHU Academic Calendar 

 NTHU Campus Map 
International students accepted by NTHU must apply for a resident visa for entering Taiwan. Foreign nationals holding a resident visa should go to their local immigration service center to apply for an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) within 15 days of their arrival in Taiwan. Applicants who enter Taiwan on a visitor visa can apply for a resident visa at the Bureau of Consular Affairs at least 7 working days prior to the expiration date of their visitor visa. Obtaining a NTHU admission does not guarantee the issuance of a resident visa.
Resident Visa

Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Resident visa for foreign students

Visa online application

Visa fees

Alien Resident Certificate (ARC)

Required Documents :
1. One completed application form 
2. Passport with Resident Visa 
3. Student ID card or Enrollment Verification (original and copy)
4. One photo (A color photo with a glossy finish taken with a white background within the past year that should be 4.5cm x 3.5cm with an image of the head that should not be shorter than 3.2cm or longer than 3.6cm from the top of the head to the chin.)
5. Fee: NT$1,000- one year term.
Notes: Expired ARCs must be handed in when applying for extensions application:

Applicants should prepare all required documents and go to the local National Immigration Agency service center (where applicant's residence address locates) to apply IN PERSON. If not in person, the applicant will need to have a representative and sign at the bottom of the application form to authorize this person to handle the application process on their behalf.

Hsinchu Office of National Immigration Agency : No.12, Zhong Hua Rd, Sec 3, Hsinchu City/ Tel: 03-5243517 ; 5247357 ; 5246552 ; 5245978

National Immigration Agency. 
Tel :( 886 2) 2388-9393

Early application for extension of Alien Resident Certificate


Health care coverage is extremely important. International students should note that after completing registration at the university and receiving their ARC, there is a six-month waiting period before they can participate in Taiwan’s National Health Insurance program. During this six-month period, international students will need to have insurance coverage, and can apply for temporary coverage for foreign nationals at the Division of General Student Affairs. 

 * Insurance Fees:
International student health insurance is NT$3,000 per month for the six months of its duration.
Once students are eligible to participate in Taiwan’s National Health Insurance coverage, the insurance fees will be NT$749 per month.

 * Medical Costs:
All those who have international student insurance coverage can receive medical services by showing their proof of insurance at the University Clinic on campus. There will be a basic NT$150 charge and other charges may apply for special medication that exceeds the insurance coverage. 
 * National Health Insurance Coverage Scope:
National Health Insurance coverage includes clinic visit, regular check-ups, hospital stays, and the child birth.

 * Insurance Transfer:
If an international student transfers from another university or organization to NTHU, they need to send their insurance history to the Division of General Affairs to complete the insurance transfer.

 * Additional Insurance for Spouse:
Please visit district office in accordance to your residency for the enrollment.

If you have any questions regarding insurance, please contact the Division of General Affairs:
Tel: (03) 5715131 ext. 62465

In case of emergency, you may also attempt to contact the Northern Region Branch of the Bureau of National Health Insurance:
Tel: 03-4339111 
Fax: 03-4381800  
Address: 525 Chungshan East Rd. Sec. 3, 32005 Chungli City, Taoyuan County
Northern Region Branch operating hours: 8:30-12:30 AM/ 1:30-15:30 PM (Information Center on first floor is unavailable during lunch break)
National Health Insurance information services free calling number: 0800-030598 


All foreign students will have priority to be assigned a space in on-campus dormitories. Multiple types of rooms are available for graduate students to choose from. For undergraduate students, 4-person rooms are available. Foreign students can submit applications to the Division of Student Housing. A housing notification will be sent to you prior to your arrival. Students can apply for rooms with an air-conditioning at a higher price. Rooms with air-conditioning also involve extra utility fees.

Undergraduate students:
4-person room with air-conditioner=NT$6,300~9,200/ semester.

Graduate students: 
Double room: with air-conditioner, NT$9,800~16,000/ semester.
Single room with air-conditioner: NT$15,800~27,000/ semester; 

The prices above are for reference. For the newest information, please contact Division of Student Housing.

 NTHU students' dormitory rule

For further information regarding students housing, please contact: Division of Student Housing
Tel: 03-5715416
Fax: 03-5731023
For you, as an international student who wish to work in Taiwan (either on campus or off campus), you are required to apply for and obtain the work permit before starting work. Please note that if you hold a job without applying for the work permit, you may be fined for NT$30,000 to NT$150,000 and ordered to leave the country immediately!

To apply for a student work permit online, create an account on the Workforce Development Agency website, read the introduction and follow the instructions in the manuals to submit an application.
Website:Work Development Agency EZ Work Permit
a.    Student work permit introduction.
b.    Workforce Development Agency EZ Work Permit Manual for International Students at NTHU.
c.     Post office payment slip.

When you received approval email from Work Development Agency, please download your official electronic document on the system within 7 days, and save the document for future reference.

For questions regarding to work permit for foreign student, please contact  Division of General Affairs.
Tel: (03) 5715131 ext. 62457


1.    The maximum work hours are 20 hours per week, except during summer and winter vacation.
2.    According to Employment Services Act, if you work without a work permit, you will be fined from NT 30,000 to NT150,000 and ordered to leave
       the country immediately.
3.    According to the "Regulations on the Permission and Administration of the Employment of Foreign Workers", you can apply for the student
       work permit only if you are officially enrolled as a degree student in any university or have taken one-year language course in Taiwan.
4.    You should return the work permit (if valid) to the OGA if you suspend or discontinue their schooling.
5.    For applications made in the first semester, the work permit is valid until March 31th of the next semester; for applications made in the second
       semester, the work permit is valid until September 30th of the same year. The period validity of a work permit is six months at most.
6.    If you would like to get the permit in person, please fill in the relevant declaration form and hand in the documents at the designated counter
       of Workforce Development Agency. You have to bring the receipt to get the permit at the counter by the appointed deadline. The Workforce
       Development Agency will send the permit as a registered mail if you did not receive the permit before the certain date.


1.    Website:
2.    Address: 10F, No. 39, Chung-Hwa Rd. Sec. 1, Taipei City, Taiwan (ROC)
3.    TEL: (02) 23801712, (02) 23801725
4.    Office Hour: Monday to Friday, 8:30-12:30, 13:30-17:30
5.    Office Hours for Application Submission in Person: Monday to Friday, 8:30-17.30
6.    E-mail:
7.    For the complete regulation, please refer to: Ministry of Labor Employment Service Act 



If any emergency occurs outside the campus, please call the police 110 or Bureau of Fire 119 for the immediate help. You can also seek help on campus for emergencies:

 Campus Security: (03)5714769 or ext. 33333
 Center of General Service: (03)5711814 or ext. 36666  (24 hours available)
 Center of Health and Wellness: (03)5743000 or ext. 43000
 Sex discrimination and Sex harrassment complaints: (03)5742626 or ext. 42626